Wednesday, October 7, 2009

The Heart of Life

CURRENTLY LISTENING TO:


Not really liking John Mayer with long hair.. but the man can sing :)

So, I'm sitting in the library again because I finished what I was supposed to do for today. And once again, when all is silent I can hear myself thinking.

I want to address an issue (or somewhat of a pet peeve of mine I guess) that's been on my mind for some time.

There are some people in this world who are impossibly heroic. I consider my cousin one of these people. He's currently in Indonesia assisting as a doctor after all the natural disasters that have occurred in that region. To give time up like that to help those who are in dire need of help half way across the world is amazing. Firefighters, policemen (most of them), etc. These people are heroes because they have the training, courage, and heart.

I like these people.

Then there's another category of heroes.. who I don't like as much.
Let's get one thing straight before I continue. I understand that most of the time people genuinely want to help and are really kind. I appreciate this and their thoughtfulness. There's nothing wrong with what they do.

But.
It just bugs me.

I like to be independent. I don't like to seem weak (although at times I will act weak when the situation calls for it.. like say a cute guy walks by :P). I am capable of doing many things on my own. When I need help, I ask for it. I'm not so prideful that I won't ask for assistance when I truly need it. Sometimes I have to make a mistake before I ask for help, but I like making mistakes because I get to learn from them.

So, what bugs me is when I am in the middle of a task and someone asks me if I need help.
  • Do I need help vacuuming my room? No.. not really. I've been doing it for a really long time now. I know how to push this thing around until all the dirt is gone. When I lose both my arms.. maybe you can help then.
  • Do I need help putting this seemingly simple apparatus together? No.. I'm fine unless I get really confused.. thanks, but I enjoy figuring how to put things together on my own so I know how to do it next time. Yeah, it's cool that you already know how to do it. How about you give me a go at it now cause I'm kind of bored just sitting here watching you put together something I was really looking forward to putting together myself.
  • Do I need a ride somewhere I can obviously get to on my own with my own car? No. Thanks for offering to waste your gas on me though. The Earth must really love you.

And on and on. I know I'm being kind of mean right now, but it's seemed to happen to me a lot this past summer and beginning of this school year and I kind of needed to vent because it's almost as bad as my "talking during a tv show or movie" pet peeve.

Oh, and you people think I'm so blind. I am being hypocritical because just this morning, I got milk for Hazel when she could have gotten it herself. There are plenty of other instances when I have done something similar to this as well, but au contraire.
After I do what I do, I curse myself and find that I bug myself!

Shoot me. I'm only human.

Like I said though, there's nothing wrong with it. It's nice that people do things to help others whether they're big or small things, but for some reason when someone constantly does it to me.. I really hate it.

It's time for me to attempt homework :(

ASIAN. OUT.

No comments: