Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Pictures of You

To this day, I still remember that phone call I got. I remember where I was, what I thought when I saw "Mommy" on my cell phone, and the thoughts reeling through my head after I hung up the phone.

It was a sad night.

In fact, there's been plenty of sad days and nights since then. I think of him and I lie awake with my pillow soaked in tears. Two years later.. It's not any different.

My grandma asks me to sleepover sometimes because she gets lonely without him. I feel bad when I can't, but when I'm over babysitting Jayson or Warren, I do. I wish I could make her feel better, but no one can take his place in her life.. or in anyone's life for that matter. I guess time is the about the only thing that can really heal people, we just don't have enough of it sometimes.

But I hope that my grandpa lived a great life with the time that he had. I regret not ever really sitting down and asking him about his life. It was after he was gone that I discovered so many things about his life and his history. I learned so much from him when he was alive and I continue to learn from him now. I've learned that asking questions is the only way to get to know people and to understand their views and their life.

I work hard now more than ever because I want people to have more time to ask those questions or have the chance answer them. Life doesn't wait. Don't be afraid to ask. The clock is ticking..

12.09.06
I love you, Grandpa.